We started our family with Cuffy. He was such an amazing dog, my family and friends all wanted one of his pups. I actually had strangers on the road motion me over just to give me their card and ask me to contact them when we bred him. I’d like to say he is a saint, but he isn’t. He is a mischievious Labrador that has chewed up thousands of dollars of shoes, bedding, and expensive persian carpets. But he has a heart of GOLD!! He is afraid of his own shadow, and only does things the way he first learned them. He ONLY gets in on the drivers side of the car. He ONLY jumps on the bed from the left side. He doesn’t like change….
So…we were concerned when we brought Truffles to our home from Ohio. Sweet little girl was living in a barn in the snow with about 20 brothers and sisters. It was a true farm and the dogs were bred for hunting.
She was the runt of two litters and hid from us. The others were all over us saying pick me! Pick me! The breeder tried to talk us out of her as she was the runt and we had FIRST choice of two litters, but our little Truffles had already stolen our hearts. A hot bath later, she was ours. We wrapped her up in the pink blanket and put on her (Centinela) pink polka dot collar with her pink chew toy (also from Centinela) and headed back to Burbank. She sat up and watched the barn as we drove away. She never cried for home, she only cried to be held…and she ALWAYS wanted to be held.
She and Cuffy became fast friends. Cuffy our timid dog and Truffles…no pink girlie girl… She could out run…out jump and out eat Cuffy at every turn…and he was very happy to let her. (Be-grungingly, I lost the pink and bought her a turquoise and brown collar, leash and bed.)
A few years and several shoes, couches and wooden stairs later Truffles was ready to move from Cuffy’s girlfriend to Wife.
We hired a nurse to help us with the delivery, as she was the runt and never did get very big…except for her paws and tongue which are unusually large for her size. (I think it adds to her charm.)
On October 15th Cuffy and Truffles welcomed five beautiful little puppies. All of our friends and family came to help out with their care. My cousins children had first pick and they too selected the runt. Our friends granddaughter took one of the boys, and our the other two went to a friend and a family member both of which had just lost their dog and needed to fill that void in their heart and home.
We kept one of the males. We named him Joe Paw.
Mary Beth at your store in Burbank has been our special Angel. She has helped us work through allergies to food, diapers for Truffles before she was ready to breed, training for Joe Paw and endless other things as we have said good bye to my sweet cat of 25 years, and added koi and goldfish to our pond a they continuously breed.
We spend several hundred dollars a month with her. She has been a very special friend to all of our family…She knows the quirks of each of our dogs and she makes certain that we have the tools to train and nurture our four legged and gilled family members.
Do you have a PET OF THE MONTH?
Do you have an extraordinary pet with a special story? We’d love to hear from you! Submit your pet to be the Centinela Feed pet of the month! In addition to your pet’s story and photos being featured on our website, each Pet of the Month will receive a Centinela Feed gift card worth $20!
- Please include your name, as well as the name of your pet.
- Remember: The longer the story, the better! We want to hear as much about your pet as possible.
- Larger, high-resolution photos are best.
- Submissions must have a valid first name, last name and e-mail address, as this is how we will contact you should your pet be chosen. Submissions without these details will not be eligible. We will not share this information.
- Only one pet per month will be selected. Winners are selected at random. You may enter multiple pets. Once you have entered your pet, there is no need to re-enter. Multiple entries of the same pet will not be eligible. Please do not enter a pet that is not yours! Such submissions will not be eligible.
- If your pet is chosen, we will contact you via e-mail. Gift cards will be mailed. Gift cards are valid at any Centinela Feed location. Gift cards are not redeemable for cash value.
- Contest not for employees of Centinela Feed.
Ready to submit your story? Click here!